Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Countdown to Thanksgiving Day 15: Mad Scientists

This is the 15th in a daily series celebrating the blessings I'm thankful for, leading up to Thanksgiving. While they will portray some of the many -- and random -- things I have to be thankful for, they will not be presented in any particular order by degree of thankfulness. Skewed priorities should not be implied.

Epic fail.  I didn't get anything posted yesterday.  But let's pretend it's still Tuesday and I did this right on time.

Because on Tuesday - well, every day, really - I was thankful for pharmaceuticals.

I hope there will be a special place in heaven for the inventor(s) of Benedryl -- and those who made a cheaper knock-off.  I go through vats of it, just so I can be presentable in public and not sit and scratch incessantly.

For seven of the last nine years, I've had hives and angio edema all day, every day, head to toe. Benedryl keeps me sane.  I can get through the day without tearing my skin off.  I can eat something other than water. It lets me sleep at night instead of scratching and aching.  It keeps my face, limbs and digits from looking like Hitch when he ate the mushroom.  It protects my airways and keeps me alive.


And I don't draw the thankfulness line at Benedryl.  I appreciate albuterol that clears my son's asthma.  I ADORE Adderall that has turned living with Grace from hell to normal, and helps her go from failing to meeting academic standards.

I appreciate the scientists and investors who recognize a problem and invest lots of money and years of trial and error to find solutions to make certain conditions bearable. Do they profit from it? Yes.  Do I care? Not really, because they save my life (and Grace's) every. single. day.  I might be biased, but I think saving my life is worth something.

Like a special spot in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment